There are five primary concepts of Congregational Development, all of which work simultaneously and are deeply interwoven with one another.
- Serves as a model for strategically developing a healthier church where the Gospel message can be proclaimed.
- Fosters clergy growth by at least one leadership level.
- Establishes a viable Hospitality, Invitation and Incorporation (HII) process in parishes.
- Guides recruitment, formation, and training of parish leadership teams.
- Encourages development of short and long-term parish ministry plans.